Saturday, March 14, 2009

A tribute in Haikus to my hair

India Arie
Said it best when she proclaimed
"I am not my hair"

Two long years ago
On this day I shaved my head
And changed my outlook

Eyes stared, mouths whispered
No one seemed to understand
My purpose or cause

Being bald changed me
Lost identification
Fought stereotypes

Blended gender roles
Sympathized with other views
Absorbed my brothers

Became confident
Shattered others ideas of
What beauty can be

Learned to truly love
Learned looks can be deceiving
Gained inner beauty

I do not regret
For a second being bald
"I am not my hair"



India Arie's anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZd1KeZhjfU

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like it! I was never great at writing poetry, so I am very impressed! :-) Miss you!

Anonymous said...

That is seriously awesome